Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Happy Birthday Doctor Seuss!!

My friend Dorothy is the librarian at St. Norbert's School in Paoli. She asked me to create a cake for Dr. Seuss' birthday.  Here’s the inspiration photo for the cake.  It had to be The Cat in the Hat…

seussinspiration
I decided to make a fake cake so she could save it and re-use it every year (well, at least for a few years since they do tend to fade over time). I sent along a couple of sheet cakes for her to serve to the students.

Since the “Hat” is the most important part of the design I worked on that first.  It’s pretty hard to get the movement of the hat in styrofoam.

seuss1

Making a fake cake is actually way more difficult than making a real cake. It's a lot easier to carve cake than it is to carve styrofoam---and a lot less messy!  The static is a killer….

seuss6

Here’s the naked cake.  After carving each of the tiers, and before covering them with fondant, I set up the tiers to make sure I like the shape of the cake.

seuss5

This was so much fun to make. I hope the kids enjoy it!
seuss9seussthing1

No comments:

Post a Comment